ABOUT THE NSLA
Why We Work to Protect
Land Protection Goals
How to Protect Land
HOW YOU CAN HELP
Volunteer to Help
Join the NSLA Legacy Club
Start a Local NSLA Chapter
Conserve Your Own Land
Purchase a Property for
Encourage Others to
Protect Their Land
NEWS & EVENTS
Why We Work to Protect Open Space on the North Shore
- We want to protect the natural rural feeling and open space of the North Shore.
- Fact: The natural rural feeling of the North Shore is rapidly disappearing as more and more houses are built. The next five years will make the difference in whether the North Shore retains some of its rural feeling or becomes a crowded suburb.
- We want to protect the quality of life enjoyed in our communities.
- Fact: Excess development threatens the availability and purity of the water we drink.
- Fact: Excess development and "suburbanization" causes more traffic. More traffic causes more emissions which have been attributed to the high incidence of asthma among children.
- We want to keep the cost of municipal services and property taxes as low as possible.
- Fact: Housing development drives up the cost of municipal services much faster than it brings increased property tax revenue, thereby leading to increases in property tax rates. Open lands cost your government much less to keep than developed areas.