North Shore Land Alliance would like to encourage everyone to stay active this winter by getting outdoors. Each week we will provide you with something new and fun you and your family can do this winter.
Ice skating: It’s Fun and Offers a Variety of Benefits
With the warm weather behind us, there are plenty of activities you can do this winter to stay fit get outdoors and have some fun. Enjoyed by millions of people each year, ice skating is considered a great pastime activity that provides skaters with a diverse range of health and fitness benefits.
As with walking, jogging or swimming, Ice skating provides skaters with a low impact aerobic workout, especially if they’re not jumping. Ice skating can also help sculpt and tone your leg and abdominal muscles while strengthening your lower back. Skaters can also improve their endurance and balance, if they maintain a constant, steady pace over a longer period of time. Other physical advantages of ice skating includes reduced stress levels, mental clarity and improved flexibility.
For families and couples, it’s also a great time to get together and strengthen your relationships.
If you’re ready to start gliding for fun, fitness, or just getting together, please contact one of these indoor or outdoor ice skating facilities for directions, skating sessions and fees. You can also search online for other nearby rinks:
- Cantiague Park Ice Rink (Nassau County Park) – 480 West John Street, Hicksville, NY 11801 | Phone 516-571-7056
- Christopher Morley Park Rink (Nassau County Park) – 500 Searingtown Road, Roslyn, NY 11576 | Phone: 571-8113
- Grant Park Ice Skating Rink (Nassau County Park) – Broadway at Sheridan Avenue, Hewlett, NY 11557 | Phone: 516-571-7821
- The Rinx at Harborfront Park – 101-A East Broadway, Port Jefferson, NY 11777 | Phone: 631-403-4357 | www.therinx.com
- The Rinx at the Town of Oyster Bay Ice Skating Center – 1001 Stewart Avenue, Bethpage, NY 11714 | Phone: 516-433-7465 | www.therinx.com
- The Rinx at Hidden Pond Park: 660 Terry Road, Hauppauge, NY 11788 | Phone: 631-232-3222 | therinx.com
- The Skating Club of New York: 61 Chelsea Piers, 2nd Floor, NY, NY | Phone: 212-336-6100 | www.chelseapiers.com
- Twin Rinks Ice Skating Center at Eisenhower Park – 200 Merrick Avenue, East Meadow NY 11554 |Phone: 516-441-0070 | twinrinkseisenhower.com
- Port Washington Skating Center: 70 Seaview Boulevard, Port Washington, NY 11050 | Phone: 516-484-6800 | pwskating.com
- Superior Ice Rink – 270 Indian Head Road, Kings Park, NY 11754 | Phone: 631-269-3900 | www.superioricerink.com
- Syosset-Woodbury Community Park – 7800 Jericho Turnpike, Syosset, NY 11791 | Phone: 516-677-5999 | www.oysterbaytown.com